Thursday, April 05, 2007

The perfect thing to shop for by bike

So to continue from last time, I’ve been researching the topic of funeral and burial planning because no one else in the family is attending to this and I for one don’t want to have to make these kinds of decisions in the space of a couple of days during the saddest time of my life.

Mainly what I’ve learned so far is that death is very expensive (nope, you can't even DIE for free), and the less prepared you are, the more it costs. I'll give more examples of this later, but for now let’s start with the burial plot. If you buy it way ahead of time, you can pay it off gradually. But if you need it by tomorrow at noon, they want the money today. So this means instantly shelling out $600 to $2000 for the plot alone, not counting all the other spendy things on the list. If this seems cruel, think about it – let’s say they feel sorry for you in all your grief so they give you a break and let you pay on an installment plan. Three months down the road, you quit paying. What are they going to do – repo the plot? Dig up your loved one and deposit the casket on your front porch? I don’t think so. They’re screwed. Now they’re going to have to hound you relentlessly till they get their money, and who wants that job?

So that’s why I’ve started shopping. And I’m glad I have, because you’d think it wouldn’t matter where the hell you bury someone, but as it turns out, it matters. Some places feel right, and some don’t. It’s going to take time to pick the right spot. This isn’t just another errand on your list that you squeeze in between “buy some bread” and “go to post office to mail that package.”

Will post more photos tomorrow. I know I said that the other day but this time I mean it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home