Monday, February 12, 2007

A Ghost Bike for Nick

Here’s Nick's ghost bike. His funeral was last Friday. I actually thought about going, but I also wondered if it’s ok to go to a funeral of someone you don’t know or is that considered weird in some way. But as a committed transportation cyclist, I’m acutely aware that I could have been in his place.

Even though I didn’t know Nick, I’ve been looking at his picture and reading what’s been said about him. I think it’s the saddest thing in the world that he was killed. The unfairness of this kind of thing is absolutely incomprehensible. I can think of plenty of slimey people without whom the world would be instantly so much better, and yet this happens to someone like him -- not only a really good person but on the springboard of his adult life. I feel so bad for his family.


It isn’t known yet what caused the accident – they haven’t finished the investigation. Probably it was a combination of things. But this doesn’t make me want to quit riding my bike. It just makes me want even more to vastly reduce the number of cars on our streets. Especially, any driver with a history of serious driving infractions (which I believe was the case here) should be prohibited from operating one of these moving metal deathtraps. And not after someone is killed , but before.

3 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate:

There's a safety rally at that spot on Thursday. You might have seen it on BikePortland already, but here's the link if you have not:

http://bikeportland.org/2007/02/12/rally-planned-in-response-to-fatal-crash/

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger The Alley Cat said...

Some people, I'm thinking of the mulitple DUII type, and not alluding to this particular motorist because I haven't got all the facts, are unstoppable in their flagrancy. They're a threat to everyone on the road, cyclists, drivers, everyone. You take their liscence, they drive anyway. You impound their vehicle, they find another one. I sometimes think the only countermeasure is authorizing the police to deploy a cruise missile.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger kate gawf said...

Thanks for that information, Mick, I may be able to attend that rally, though I can't be there till after quarter to five. If you go, look for me and introduce yourself. Look for someone on a bike, wearing a yellow jacket.(ha ha.)

As for Alley Cat, I too have had the cruise missile thought. Too bad that no matter what group you pick -- police, government, organic vegetarian hippies, or allegedly holy clergypeople -- there are jerks among them who would inevitably make some huge bubu with said cruise missile, aiming it in completely the wrong direction. There's always somebody -- a fact of life that's always amazed me. No matter where you are, there they are. Who has not asked, at one time or another, "God, could you please make this person drop dead?" to which the answer seems usually to be: No.
Instead, good contributing people are wiped out right and left. Go figure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home