Thursday, September 20, 2007

More Portlanders Ditch their Cars

I’m back. I won't bore you or myself with explanations.... other than to say I’m the Little Engine that Could but Just Didn’t Feel Like It. [a concept invented by cartoonist Roz Chast]

I am amazed by the frequency with which the Oregonian is publishing articles about biking. The latest one is called
Giving Up the Family Car

Did you know that
"While the rest of the country is flooded with cars, Portland boasts a higher percentage of no-car households than the state and national averages. By far."

Yay Portland. That's us.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger Jeff Moser said...

I'm in the process of selling the home out in the country and moving into the city where I work. Living only a mile away from work, I'll be able to bicycle commute no matter what the weather. I'm so excited!

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger kate gawf said...

Jeff, that is SO TOTALLY EXCITING!! Moving to where your job is has to be the ultimate environmental statement, in my opinion. Either that or choosing a job based on its vicinity to your home. You're probably going to win back a huge time block of your day.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Jeff Moser said...

I figure that I'm spending 20 hours, nearly a whole day per month, sitting in the car. This just takes into account my daily 60 minute commute, and doesn't count misc. errands or weekend driving. It's crazy.

I've been lamenting over the lack of safe, practical cycling routes, and lack of public transportation. I even thought I wanted to move out of the area. I finally realized that most of my unhappiness was based around my commute! There will be so much negativity cut out of my day by eliminating it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home