Wednesday, May 31, 2006

A Handful of People Live by the Bike Even in Guadalajara

Here’s Paco, who delivers the most delicious bread to my aunt’s house every day at around 1:00. Notice that he doesn’t use any kind of basket or fancy carrying device, but simply piles the cloth bread-sacks onto his back rack. He delivers about 200 loaves a day, which takes him four hours. He’s been doing it for ten years, for his friends’ bakery. I asked him if he ever wishes he could do the job by car, and he said no. With a bike, he can get right up to each house. He doesn’t have to worry about blocked or one way streets or finding a parking place, let alone paying for gas and repairs and worrying about untimely break-downs. If he gets a flat or his bike breaks, he can usually fix it himself right away, or have it fixed very cheaply.

For the rest of his day he pursues a completely unrelated profession. I was interested to know what it was, but I was worried I might be asking too many questions.

2 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been fascinated by your recent postings from Guadalajara! I have only been an occasional visitor to your blog, but now I'm hooked! Where do you plan to go next? and when? What an interesting perspective on international bicycling- we are truly a global society, aren't we? Please post your future travel plans so we can be sure to follow them.
Thanks for your great reporting.
#1 FAN

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger kate gawf said...

Well! Thankye kindly! I tip my hat to you. As a matter of fact, I do have another trip planned -- to Minnesota!-- which is so different from here that it might as well be another country. I've heard the mosquitoes are so big, they ride bicycles -- but we missed them last time, so this time we're going at top mosquito season. That'll be some time in July. I'll be sure and report back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home