Sunday, May 14, 2006

Photographer ethically challenged by ghastly scene

I’ve spotted another horse. It’s located around the corner from the first one, and was pointed out to me by a co-worker. At first I couldn’t find it and began to doubt the co-worker’s cognitive abilities. But then, when I concentrated on looking for a horse RING instead of an actual horse, I saw it – and friends, how the sight it dismayed me!

It had fallen off the curb and had nosedived onto the pavement into a narrow slot between the curb and the tire of an elephantine motorized vehicle! I will insert the photo below, but please be forewarned that you may find the image disturbing.

As I clicked away with my camera, I could not help but imagine the obvious sequel in the series – how the horse would be crushed and crushed again when the vehicle driver returned and began the maneuvering the oversized oil-slurping beast out of the parking spot. Disaster waiting to happen lurched in front of me.

My policy of never touching the horses, of never interfering with the displays, of recording events exactly as they take place, began to wiggle seismically. But drawing on my deep sense of professionalism, I pressed on. Meaning that I continued to press the button on the camera.

But emotionally I was right back in that gnarly theater in Naples in the 70s, where I squinted through a thick haze of cigarette smoke to watch Francis Ford Coppola’s Il Padrino -- the last scary movie I ever attended.

When I was finished, I walked away with the clinical calm of a police investigator at a crime scene. I strolled back to my bike, unlocked it, hopped on, and rode off into the late afternoon sun. Then my bike, of its own accord, perhaps sensing a certain kinship with the creature whose role in society it has now usurped, turned at the next corner and wheeled around the block to the scene of the incipient horror.

Did I have a choice? I righted the horse onto the curb, got back on my own horse, and galloped away. Neigh, my friends. I could not do otherwise.

(I'm having misgivings about displaying the photograph. I need to think about it more. Check back later.)

OK, you asked for it. Last chance to close your eyes.

well shoot. Something's going on with Blogger. I've been trying for over twenty minutes and it won't accept the picture. Maybe it's too gorey and they've got some kind of screening mechanism in place. I'll have to get back to this tonight. I have to go earn a living now. Good bye.
Monday night, 10:10
Sorry to disappoint you again, friends, but blogger seems to still be having some kind of problem and won't let me post any picture. Will try to work on it again tomorrow evening. kg

Tuesday morning: FINALLY! the "add image" feature of Blogger seems to be up and running, so here at last is the promised photo.


4 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Nothing is entirely objective, so your efforts to be a non-interfering observer thus far are admirable. I have to say, though, I would have been very sad, indeed, had you not taken the actions you took. Good on you.

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Jessica. Good for you.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger kate gawf said...

Thanks for the support, girls. I haven't had any regrets.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Scout Seventeen said...

I saw one of those horsies on the corner of NW 21st and Irving, when leaving work at Cinema 21. I was so delighted that I vowed to bring back my husband and show him.

A few hours later, there were only empty reigns and a vaguely horse-shaped pile of ceramic chips. Alas, I'm glad to know they live on elsewhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home