Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Bike Apparel Industry Spawns Personal Germ Farms

I have not been able to obtain the photos of the gloves yet so I will just explain it. As I was looking for a good pair of full-fingered riding gloves, I noticed that instead of the backs being made entirely of some kind of rain resistant or at least wind resistant fabric, most of them had this soft cushy fabric that covered the top of the thumb and the whole web area between the thumb and index finger. Then I noticed that many of the little brag lines on the labels included claims like “extra absorbent.” And of course I thought, Who needs ‘extra absorbent’ anything in Oregon? That’s the last thing you’d want, right? So I’m pointing this out to the sales guy and he says, with a twinge of apology, “It’s for wiping your nose.”

Ew.

Now maybe I’m unusual, but I’ll go through an entire dinner napkin on a thirty minute commute. Assuming I'd be able to get past the idea of depositing that much body mucous on my hand, I’d be having to wash those gloves at least twice a day. How many people are going to get around to washing out their bike gloves even once a week?

New rule: DO NOT SHAKE HANDS WITH ANY BICYCLISTS, EVER, OR TOUCH ANYTHING THEY HAVE TOUCHED.

6 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Running gloves are produced and marketed the same way, fyi. Same rules about shaking hands apply.

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad to say that I use my gloves to wipe my nose while I'm riding.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger PDXK.TV said...

LOL!!! -- I admit it... I have wiped with my glove. But I love nothing better than to hold one nostril and let the pavement have it-- just one thing I don't care to save.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger chen said...

Your blog site is very informative. The articles are very interesting.
It’s a good source of information about shopping. Thus, I’m looking for a blog site where my Closeouts and Liquidations website is related to.
I’m glad that I found this site. This is a great way of sharing ideas in web marketing. It’s a great blog. I really appreciate it. Keep it up!

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i recently switched to some snowboarding gloves (my waterproof bike gloves bit the dust) and i have to admit I really miss the nose-wiping area.

Mostly, though, I carry many pockets full of hankies.

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i wash my gloves once a week, whether they need it or not. (they always need it).

i take them off to shake hands.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home