Thursday, December 13, 2007

Public outcry leads to marked increase in uniforms

I’m back. That was a much longer hiatus than I’d planned.
When we left off, the public was in full complaint mode about the dangers of riding the MAX trains. After I last posted, I started seeing uniformed people on the MAX every time I turned around. They were on the trains and at the stations. Starting one week ago, this was thinning out a bit.

There are 2 kinds of uniformed figures on the trains. One kind wears the chartreuse jackets that say Transit Security on the back. They don’t appear to do anything except stand there. They don’t even check people’s tickets -- just stand in pairs and chat with each other about various experiences they’ve had on the job elsewhere. The other kind wear black and yellow jackets and some kind of shoulder patch. They are checking people’s fares and asking people not to leave their bike standing there unattended while sitting in a nearby seat (me).

I’m a little confused about who’s who, and for what. I asked one of the fare inspectors what those other guys do. “Nothing,” he answered. “Eye candy.” This appears to be true. Last time I posted I wrote: "I think that if they just walk around and look decorative, that will do the trick." Now I take that back. Looking decorative isn't enough. I think they need to look intimidating. The ones I've seen look like scouts of some kind.

Is anyone up on the details?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home