Monday, July 21, 2008

My other bike is jealous.

I’ve ridden the Brompton almost exclusively since I got it. I don't have the luggage system yet because the shop had run out of them at the time that I bought the bike. So I’ve been using a backpack — not ideal, but functional. One day when it was too hot to wear a backpack and I needed extra tote space, I rode my old bike which has a rear rack and a basket. The feeling was similar to switching back to a car after you’ve grown used to riding a bike – like decadent excess. And its wheels felt so HUGE! So slow to go around! And the bike itself is such a TANK. So much squishier than the Bromp. Not so nimble. Like dancing with some clod in hiking boots.

In addition to all that, I was suddenly ordinary again. No admiring stares, no envious looks, no emphatic comments, no awe, no amazement, no show-off opportunities. No nothing.


I had thought all that would get old in a hurry, but it hadn’t yet.

All of a sudden I was a little brown mouse on a brown plain, whereas I’d gotten used to being a tropical bird in a lush emerald jungle.

I switched back to the Brompton the very next day.

This is awfully fun, but I may have completely ruined the other bike. I feel bad.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again, Kate, I can sympathize. Mine may be a monster, but I love it so much that every now and then I look over at the hooks in the corner of the garage and am embarrassed to remember how long it's been since my other bikes have seen the light of day. I apologize to them profusely and frequently. In spite of that, it is good to find one that fits you so well, isn't it? Val

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger kate gawf said...

That's funny, Val. Bikes have a way of working themselves into a bit of a relationship with us, don't they? It must be because they become almost a part of our bodies. What do you ride, anyway?

 
At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/6n84yo Kind of the opposite end of the spectrum, but it suits me. Val

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger kate gawf said...

Val: can you check that url? It doesn't work for me. I pasted into the address box but it gets me nowhere.

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, it works just fine for me - either pasting or typing it. No matter, try going to cargo-bike.blogspot.com It's the first post; the Cargo Bike Pilot Profile. Let me know what you think. Val

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Wow, I'm so glad you didn't listen to my (now obviously) uninformed Bromp-dissing. Happy trails!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home