Sunday, December 21, 2008

Help. The whole city is becoming encased in ice!

A ski trip to the store a mile away earlier this afternoon turned into a two-and-a-half hour expedition ---- partly because I kept stopping to take pictures, but also because it's hard to get anywhere. If the world quits hearing from Portland, somebody out there might want to send in a few helicopter loads of ice-ax-wielding rescuers. Here's some of the evidence. And look at this poor tree over by the Hollywood movie theater. This is palm tree abuse if I ever saw it. There's a reason we don't try to grow these here, people. What were they thinking?

4 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Dale said...

:-) Not so bad as the big ice storm a few years back -- not yet anyway -- but bad enough. Hope you're staying warm!

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger kate gawf said...

Not as bad YET, Dale, but it’s getting there. I think we’re going to surpass that. Really. It was well on its way when I was out in it a few hours ago. Just wait and see.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Golden Moon said...

Hi Kate here I am living in the other Hollywood and I feel a little guilty going to the beach. Weirdly, as much as I used to feel trapped whenever we got snowed in when I lived up there in Portland, now I kind of feel like I'm missing out on something.
Hmmm, I wonder what that would be. Must be the camaraderie of mass strandedness. Well, maybe I can live without that. Ciao, dolling! Don't freeze yo asses! Marianna

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger kate gawf said...

Hi Mewy. Yes, well I think the camaraderie of mass strandedness has worn off in a big way over at the ranch. Not here, though. L and I are having a great time.

Mom's all cooped up with "two grouchy people" and she's about to go nuts. I can't even get over there to bring her anything or give her any kind of a break. I feel bad, but then I remind myself she IS in a house, not a snow cave, and she has hot water and electricity and tons of food. Fortunately she insisted on taking the car out on the first snow day for a giant hoarding trip to the store.

Even this isn't going to make us all move to Florida, so don't get your hopes up. Bye. Say hello to the beach for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home