Thursday, July 06, 2006

Halcyon Skies Found Hovering Above Enameled Plain

I’m far from home. Can you tell? My routine -- of sliding quietly out of bed before dawn, stopping by the kitchen for my tea and three squares of 88% chocolate, and descending into the bowels of my dwelling to post the day’s blog -- has gone to hell in a handbasket. That’s ok. That’s what vacations are for. At least that’s what I keep telling myself.

I did not forget my camera. I even brought the little cord that ferries the pictures into the computer. But I didn’t bring the computer program that makes all that work.

Just as well. I haven’t seen a bike since the plane landed in Sioux Falls, except for one that Lindi’s niece drug out of the barn as evidence. And this mystifies me, because from what I’ve seen so far, I’d expect cyclists to flock here from all over the country. This area is flat as a pancake – isn’t that every cyclist’s dream?

Since I can’t show you a photo, here’s a picture I made for you myself, showing the view out the car window all across the southern edge of Minnesota. This scene lasted for two hours. Maybe I’ve just answered the cycling conundrum. On a bike, you’d see this view for a week.

1 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you familiar with Ragbrai? http://www.ragbrai.org/

Iowa is about at flat as your picture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home