Friday, January 05, 2007

Blogging error hides reader responses

SERENDIPITOUS DISCOVERY YIELDS CACHE OF UNSEEN BLOG COMMENTS!

OMG! I’ve been deprived of all your comments!

I just discovered that in some weird way at some unknown time more than two months ago, I must have made some kind of Blogspot management error while exploring my Blogger “dashboard.” Apparently I inadvertently turned off the “show comments” feature. At the same time, it seems I also turned off the feature that sends every comment directly to my email inbox and notifies me right away that you’ve posted.

Since mid-October (!) I have been stumped as to why, despite the fact that the Sitemeter was showing plenty of readership, no one was writing in .

Last night I accidentally clicked on a Blogger button that brought up a huge list of comments from you that I had never seen. I was simultaneously shocked, horrified, and relieved. An hour or so later, they all appeared in my email inbox as well.

I always appreciate your comments immensely, and try to respond to respond back with at least a few words unless I’m completely swamped with the demands of Life. I will be gradually responding to some of these retroactively. One person even wrote in that she or he regretted I had removed the show-comments feature – but of course, since the comment never made it to my inbox, I remained clueless.

I raise my teacup to a better blog in the New Year. And don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten about the promised Phobia Revelation, but I felt this was urgent so I had to slip it in right away. I’ll get back to that as soon as a reasonable number of people have had a chance to read this.

2 Comments:

At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering about that. I found your blog through the bikeportland story about the carless streets and made a couple comments that didn't show up. I thought you were just trying to stifle any dissenting opinions. HA ;)
cold and wet weather riding tip: icebreaker

 
At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you figured this out. I'm the one who wrote to tell you about it before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home