Tuesday, July 03, 2007

PET peeve # 756

Uh, excuse me, but is this allowed?
Do they really need to take up room on the sidewalk as well as use up one of our scarce bike racks? Must I be forced to risk a confrontation with a potentially vicious dog who is likely to perceive himself as having been assigned to guard the bike rack?

Since a dog, unlike a bicycle, can easily be attached to a nearby tree or car, can't they be satisfied with that? Raise your hand if you have ever heard the pictured apparatus referred to as a dog rack.

Parking for a bicycle is limited by the size of its lock, and most cyclists use U-locks, which will only fit around a bike rack or sign post. I for one do not appreciate being left with no alternative but to approach a strange dog. You never know what animal might spontaneously decide to bite your leg off. You may think you know, but you don't. Even if it's your own dog, you don't know, so don't say that you do. Animals are animals, they are not people. As the saying goes, you can't teach morals to a gorilla. What about that so-called "tame" tiger that mauled the circus performer a couple of years ago, his trainer and source of food for at least ten years? See?

As you can see from the photo, I went ahead and parked my bike there anyway, thereby risking my personal safety. Give me one reason why I should have to undergo this kind of trauma just because I want to park my bicycle.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Blogger Jeff Moser said...

Remember that scene from the old Pink Panther movie?

"Does your dog bite?"

"Nope"

Growl! Chomp!

"Ouch! I thought you said your dog does not bite!"

"That's not my dog..."

Irresponsible pet owners are a pet peeve of mine too.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Here's one good reason to risk life and limb in order to park your bicycle: it will remind you that the human being is not the only species.

That's always good to remember!

 
At 3:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm, yeah, you can't attach a dog to a car for god sakes! And the leash isn't long enough to go around the tree! But, I do understand not wanting to get bitten. However, that dog barely looked alive let alone vicious. Like your blog, but please don't blame the dog. :)

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are a douche

 

Post a Comment

<< Home