Thursday, January 24, 2008

No, I have not been murdered on the public transportation

Lindi and I joined a new gym. One of the staffers there, seeing my bike attire, asked me about my biking. She said she wished she could bike but she lived in Gresham. I of course immediately became enthusiastic and said No problem, hey, I commute to Gresham for my job, you and I are doing the exact same commute in opposite directions, and I can show you how to do it! I just ride to the MAX, it’s easy! She withdrew her neck down into her shoulders and said, “I’m scared of the MAX.”

OK, public announcement:
THAT IS RIDICULOUS!
I’ve been doing it for six months now and I haven’t been murdered yet. Would everybody PLEASE remember that “the news” only reports on bad things?

I feel partly responsible for contributing to that public attitude. Me and my stories. I know I’ve mentioned a few unsavory characters. But I’ve forgotten to include all the perfectly normal people who ride it – such as myself. OK, so no more bad news stories. From now on I’m only going to report on the well-behaved people who sit reading a book till it’s time to get off.

That’s goina be my new angle – tra-la-la, look at all the happy people! – as soon as I finish telling you about the three arrests I’ve seen in the last week, the robbery I foiled, and the lovely man who urinated Lake Superior in my path to the bike elevator.

3 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Blogger Jeff Moser said...

I'm so pleased you're not dead! I was close to sending you an email...just to nudge you and see if you were still alive.

I look forward to hearing your stories of arrests, robberies, and urination!

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i've never seen a crime committed on the max, and i spend about 46 minutes per day on it, and another 15 on the platforms. granted these platforms aren't vaguely eastside, but it's downright friendly over here in these hills...

glad you're alive and still preaching the good bikely word!

here's a good topic to write about (and hey, participate in if you're feeling brave / up for some bike fun):

people who move by bike!

http://www.shift2bikes.org/wiki/bikefun:move_x_bike

i participated in one and will be back for a lot of others. it was really fun!

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, ride Max daily. And well over half of us escape the train unharmed! So, the odds are with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home