Monday, December 22, 2008

We're totally buried

It snowed even more during the night. Look at our front steps. And our plants. And Lindi's car, almost up to the top of its wheels.
This never happens here. I think Portland owns about three snowplows. Nothing to do but sit in front of the fire with our cats and read. (Darn.) And of course, blog -- at least while we have electricity.
There's power outage all over town. I hope it's fixed soon, because people who are old and/or ill really really need it. Usually they're very quick about fixing it. I love that about American infrastructures. So efficient. I think that's my favorite thing about the States.

4 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Amen. Three cheers for efficient infrastructure!

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Eye Ball said...

I grew up in Northern Virginia, and when unrelenting snow storms hit, the city is a little slower to plow arteries into the harder-to-reach areas in the suburb. With the plow trucks and the reserved tons of road salt, it's not that the city was incapable of reaching these areas; they were just, well, slow. So the local news stations would always broadcast pleads for owners of 4-wheel vehicles to help the elderly. There were always more 4X4s out during times like these. Infrastructures sometimes got trumped by Mother Nature, but the human spirit always came out on top.

Living in California now for 9 years, I do miss seeing the powdery stuff on the window panes. But only for a few minutes. ;)

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just went to beach myself this past weekend - body surfed some excellent waves - and in about 6 hours I'm going to board a plane for Portland!!!!! ???? What I am thinking, people? I wonder if there is still time to cash in my ticket.........
(I will be eternally grateful for a loan of some warm clothing at which time you can pay me back for my heartless comments above)

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dang that snow is deap ant!!!

almost as deep as it gets here lol!!! almost being the key word!!

luv ya ant!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home