Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I still love Sam Adams except for that one thing

Well.

I suppose I have to comment on this, being a bike person and a public transportation person, and a greenie, as well as a gay person. One might correctly guess that I have been a HUGE fan of Sam Adams, Mr. Public Transportation Gay Cyclist Green Guy of the Universe. One might also guess that I have been disappointed in him of late.

To me he's the personification of everything I want Portland to be: a gay-friendly, mass transit, oddball, left-ish bike town. At the moment, however, he seems more like the personification of dumb men in the public eye who risk their entire careers for a few rolls in the hay.

I don't care what he does in his private life with other consenting adults. In the rest of the world this wouldn't have even made a blip on the public radar. But who doesn't know that in this culture that kind of thing never stays private for public people and that the media are bloodthirsty for it? I knew that. You knew that. Why didn't Sam know that?


It's not like you're any stranger to the press, Sam.

If he had the self control to say No, let's wait till after your 18th birthday, why couldn't he take it a step further and say Let's skip this altogether? Would that have been THAT hard?

Sheeesh. Anyway.... look.

I want him to keep moving forward. In no way do I want the city to go through a whole 'nother election. This has cost us a lot already, and I for one can't bear the thought of spending any more time, energy, money, or emotions on it. I still think he's good in every way except for that one profoundly foolish aberration. He's good at working, he's an extroverted politician type, he's connected to absolutely everybody, he shows up everywhere, he's really good at schmoozing -- he'll be really good at this job. Really.

We need to move on; there's too much to do.

5 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Oh, Christ. Yeah. I don't care who he sleeps with but the lies & pretending it was "mentoring" piss me off a lot. This does not exactly make it easier for gay people to mentor.

But most people I know who know much about how the city works are anxious for him to stay on, for all the reasons you list.

So I don't know where I stand. I wish he hadn't made such of mess of this. (And the waiting for the birthday thing just reeks of Bill Clinton, y'know?)

I'm not ready to throw him out. But I can't help wondering what else he has, or would, brazenly lie about. It's discouraging.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Jeff Moser said...

Ah...From the title I thought you were speaking of beer! I wondered why someone in the middle of fabulous beer country would even fool with something from the East Coast!

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When are people going to wake up and realize that politicians are all just a bunch of scam artists.

Selling hope and cooperation and bi-partisanship is the new snake oil. It keeps them rich and safe and doing whatever they please while all of us get stuck with the pricetag.

Sam Adams is just like the rest of them!

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger kate gawf said...

Jeff: Not being a beer drinker, I didn't even know there was such a thing as Sam Adams beer till you wrote and I asked someone. Wonder how many jokes I've missed around here all these years.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger kate gawf said...

Comfort Bike: Politicians are all just a bunch of scam artists? I don't agree. I can see how it sort of goes with the territory, but I don't think they all succumb to it. You could generalize that all actors are attention-hogs because the profession lends itself to that; you could generalize that all rock stars are drug users because it's so necessary for them to be ON at showtime. But I refuse to say ALL. If I get that cynical, I won't be able to get out of bed in the morning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home