Friday, December 26, 2008

The end of the ice age

Work finally opened for business today after a week of closure, unheard of in all its history, during which I was confined to the fireplace with cookies, two cats, my favorite person in the world, and a pile of books. (It's been horrible. I'm thinking of suing for damages.)

But this morning reality fell upon me like melting icicles divebombing into pavement. I kept calling the county weather hotline, hoping for a more pessimistic update, but no luck. So changing out of my pajamas and into a Perky Attitude costume, I set off intrepidly on my bike, determined that if I had to return to life as usual, it should be really as usual.
Linda snapped a couple of pictures from the front porch with her camera phone. Repeated attempts to pedal resulted in wheels moving independently of the bike, which failed to create the necessary momentum for forward movement.After a few blocks of dragging the useless pile of metal through the slush alongside me in search of dry land, I abandoned ship four blocks from home, moored to a stop sign, and trudged forward on my own steam, unencumbered for wading through intersections like this one.By the time I reached the MAX station, the temperature had risen ten degrees and slushy icicles inched their way off the tin roof, waiting for the perfect moment to dive down the back of a warm jacket. Gresham was in better shape than yesterday, and in better shape than Portland.
I heard the mayor of Gresham declared a state of emergency and the National Guard was called in. They must've brought snowplows because (unlike in Portland) most streets were clear. Deep snow still covered the sidewalks though, and the snowplows left huge berms that you needed ropes and crampons to climb over to get from the sidewalks to the pavement so that you could walk.






6 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger Eye Ball said...

I'm really sorry to have to gloat that I wore a pair of jeans and a t-shirt for a good hour while cleaning my bike outside in the sunshine today.

Your day will come. Until then, stay out from under the icicles.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger 短线先生 3W预测与决策创始人 said...

I came to live in China, is a wave theory researchers, research stocks, especially China Index and the Dow Jones index! Are often written in the online Bo, recently wrote a Several of China to recruit foreign high-level talent of Bo, if your friends are interested in introducing them to look at Bo, also wrote a foreigner run factories in China, weddings, tourism and gold Bo, are welcome to browse, if you go to China perhaps also a little used. Thanks!

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger kate gawf said...

Oh, stop. Don't be spamming my blog, dude.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger kate gawf said...

It's ok, Eyball. Gloat away. My day will come is right, like when you guys run out of water down there and have to come crying to us, begging for some of our rain.
HA!

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Dale said...

Wasn't quite bike weather. Tomorrow, yes :-)

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like my roads all winter !!!

ant's fav niece

 

Post a Comment

<< Home